Pedestal Fans versus Ceilings Fans
So, summer has arrived and you’ve been thinking about getting a fan. The question is, to get a pedestal (or wall mounted) fan, or a ceiling fan?
There are, of course, advantages of each option, see our lists below to work out which option will best suit you!
Advantages of Pedestal/wall mounted fans:
- Very quick fix! You can pick one up when you start getting hot and use it straight away!
- If you have an existing powerpoint, you won’t need an electrician (just a handy person), so you can save some serious $$$
- You can put them away when you are not using them
- With pedestal fans, you can move them around the house easily, allowing you to point them exactly where you need the air!
- Pedestal (and desk) fans are great for renting – you don’t need permission and you can take them with you when you go!
- Good for rooms with particularly low ceilings, you can have the fan standing or mount it on the wall. The cage over the blades adds to security when it is in reach.
- Great for when installing a ceiling fan is too expensive or costly, due to difficulty accessing the ceiling, the wiring etc
See our range of pedestal fans including wall, floor, desk and commercial fans at our sister site Pedestal Fans Warehouse.
Advantages of Ceiling fans
- Use the least electricity – for an AC motor fan, about 15-20watts on low speeds, and for a DC motor fan, about 1-4watts on low speed!
- Lot’s more options of style, and you can really add to the decor of the property, check out our really cool Designer fans and tropical fans for example!
- Majority can have a light on them, so you can just have one fixture which has both fan and light.
- Good quality ceiling fans are totally quiet, you may only get a bit of air movement noise, like a whooshing – from some particularly powerful fans when they are on high speed.
- Good quality fans also usually have great warranties – including an ‘in-home’ component, which means the manufacturer will organise and cover the cost of the electrician if there is a fault or problem which requires this.